Monday, August 04, 2008

Blacksburg

This is for everyone who knew me in my years there. Don’t get bogged down in the past tense; there’s so much more to see beyond that. I’m still not wholly convinced I’d be where I am now if it weren’t for all of you.

Here’s to you, the people who put up with my endless work and my frequent absences. Here’s to you; to the memories, the faces, and the places that I’ll always remember; to the shenanigans which stand cemented in our past; to the fights, the tears, and the laughs; to the blue skies and white snow; to the curious but agreeable union of orange and maroon; to the deafening roar of Lane stadium and the serenity of the duck pond; to the twilit corridors roamed by the craziest and brightest among us; to the hushed rumors that color our days; to knowing that the experience, missing just one piece, wouldn’t be as good; to knowing these are the experiences we should never forget.

This is for the personable town where I was born; the place where I lived, loved, lost, learned, and left; the place that taught me one can love ideas as well as people; the place that is as much an idea as a destination; the place I saw, through the worst of times, that there’s still some basic good left to be found; the place where a tiny piece of me still lives, at heart; the place I’ll always carry with me; the place I’ll try to share with people through my deeds, even if they can never and visit and understand its character; the place I know we should never forget.

I hope I’m as much a part of your Blacksburg as you are parts of mine. Regardless of what it is to you, make sure you Never Forget it.

Adieu. Hopefully I’ll be back some day.

No comments: