Monday, August 11, 2008

I might have a problem…

Let’s just take a quick look at the way I’ve named various hosts that are under my control (at work and at home).

  • Skaro, my monstrously powerful desktop at work, close to:
  • SatelliteFive, my laptop from work, which occasionally talks to:
  • Sontar, the desktop at my apartment, which is tethered to:
  • Gallifrey, my wireless base station, home to:
  • The Citadel, a disk with Time Machine backups, accessible via:
  • The TARDIS, the wireless network in my apartment.

The only thing missing is an eyestalk for the machine at work.

5 comments:

David Craven said...

Where, exactly, did you find the bandwidth to justify calling your router the TARDIS? Can it consume stars to send messages in violation of general relativity?

Paul said...

The TARDIS is my wireless network, which makes sense: it alone provides access to Gallifrey from anywhere you may be. And therein, you can travel through time using a Time Machine. Also, it connects you to the Internet (a time vortex), where you can get to anywhere from anywhere.

I think The TARDIS fits. Also, 802.11n[wtfbbqlolz-draft].

Gadsden Merrill said...

I obviously have a lot to say about this, but for now I'll just say that I won't start worrying till I hear you call your office furniture "The Mountains of Solace and Solitude."

David Craven said...

You might need to start worrying now. Apple is warming up the Reality Distortion Fields, and has confirmed that it will be holding an event on September 9th. You can find the usual nonexistent details at http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/09/02/apple-confirms-september-9-special-event-lets-rock

Paul said...

Well, except by that date I'll be deep into the … Mountains of Solace and Solitude. Seriously, look at the map of New Mexico. I won't be back until the September 13, so whatever madness follows will have subsided by the time I touch civilization again.